Clan Of SiN
July 31, 2014, 06:26:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the most visually-stunning game out there?  (Read 5207 times)
Skraag
Global Moderator
Soldier

« on: July 01, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm planning on making a comeback to videogaming sometime in the next few months. But I've been out of contact for quite a while here, so I'm at a loss at what's currently considered the hottest hardware and games out there.

Well, for video cards it's not so difficult (I think): the price tag is mostly proportional to the quality of the graphics. But what are considered the most visually-stunning games right now? I want my eye-candy back!

MOO!
valegor
Global Moderator
General

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »

Strip Poker.  Very visually stunning. 
Rycon
Comp Team
General

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »

Crysis is the cream right now.. other then that..

Call of Duty 4
TimeShift
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Assassins Creed
Oblivion
Half Life 2 + Expansions
Orange Box
Frontlines Fuel of war

-|TS|-Lonewolf
General

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

Agree with Rycon regarding Crysis plus, Bioshock is another to consider.

"So be it! But afore an hour's out, ye'll be beggin' 'elp from me. Them that die'll be the lucky ones."

Rycon
Comp Team
General

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:09:24 AM »

I just got this game called Race Driver GRID. Very good racing game, good gfx too. Pretty much HAVE to have a controller or wheel though.

Buy a xbox 360 wireless controller for windows, absolutely awsome controller.

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3052407&CatId=141

Also, if you like adventure games, try the new Lego Indiana Jones game. (Or the lego star war ones, but there not as polished as Indiana Jones) Works very well with the 360 controller. You can also play coop on the same screen.

Also I havnt tried this game yet but Turok is out.
Skraag
Global Moderator
Soldier

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I didn't even know there was a wireless controller for the PC. I had Far Cry and I absolutely loved that game, so I guess I'll go for Crysis too and maybe CoD 4.

Funny that you mentioned the Indiana Jones Lego game, Rycon, my wife just bought that yesterday for the PS2.
valegor
Global Moderator
General

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »

I just got this game called Race Driver GRID. Very good racing game, good gfx too. Pretty much HAVE to have a controller or wheel though.

Buy a xbox 360 wireless controller for windows, absolutely awsome controller.

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3052407&CatId=141

Also, if you like adventure games, try the new Lego Indiana Jones game. (Or the lego star war ones, but there not as polished as Indiana Jones) Works very well with the 360 controller. You can also play coop on the same screen.

Also I havnt tried this game yet but Turok is out.

Pretty much anything from Lego is fun.  I've got Star Wars and Indiana Jones for the Wii.  Even the wife joined me in playing Indiana Jones.  I enjoyed the star wars ones more, but that's mostly because of the lightsaber. 
Rycon
Comp Team
General

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »

Crysis is much better then farcry, I played farcry and uggh.. it just seemed like the AI sux. Crysis kinda competes with the halo series, very epic story line kinda thing. I like crysis better then halo, halo is just too noobish. Although I have not played Halo 3 long enough to judge it.

The reason WHY halo is so popular is because its noob friendly.

Noob checklist
Platform that requires no knowledge: Xbox 360 CHECK
Controller that requires the game to help you aim: CHECK
Slowed down and easier game play: CHECK (You ever notice how PC games are much faster pace)
Rycon
Comp Team
General

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

BTW do you have a system yet that run this stuff? Minimum you can have for pretty much all of these games is something like a core 2 duo or a AMD64 X2 and and graphics card like 8600+. If you want to stay within a budget the 9600gt is a killer card for alot cheaper then a 8800. Although the 8800 is a awesome card.

My specs that just barely get me by in these new games
C2D 1.8ghz
geforce 9600gt Superclocked
2 gig ram
Skraag
Global Moderator
Soldier

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

Nope, I still don't have the system to run Crysis; but I'm saving to get me something decent. I was actually aiming for a 8800. Thanks for the recommendations Wink
x51TerrorMecha
Global Moderator
Colonel

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »

Hey Skraagles. If your talking about pretty games, since I didn't see it listed I wanted to add to the list, Unreal Tournament 3. I don't even play the game for the game play, I load it up to get insipration for my 3D modeling, and I also like to just look around the environment at all the hard work that went into making them uber cool. The Squaresoft guys (among others) found the engine promising enough that they went ahead and licensed it for the newest Final Fantasy. I believe it also features DX 10 support (which isn't a huge issue yet). The special edition is nice because it comes with a DVD with tutorials for the map maker if you are into that kind of thing. The newest Unreal Editor is even easier to use now, though I only know it from a level design stand-point and not a programing/modding pov. The biggest dissapointment with that game, for me, is that they still haven't progressed into any kind of deeper, class based play, and no one has used the great technology of the engine to make that kind of a game yet (ET:QW would have looked and ran way better on that engine, IMO).

-|TS|-Lonewolf
General

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »

I have the 8800GTS 512mb myself and although it has been an excellent card ATI appear to be vying for the top spot with the 4800 series. I paid over 250 just after Xmas this year for my 8800 and they can now be had for around 100  Cry

2Gb of ram is the minimum recommended for XP with 4GB preferred for Vista when it comes to gaming.

Whatever you decide to buy it will be out of date within 6 months  Roll Eyes

"So be it! But afore an hour's out, ye'll be beggin' 'elp from me. Them that die'll be the lucky ones."

BeerMan
Bang?
Global Moderator
Colonel

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 10:28:29 AM »

Go stand outside and play this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_in_a_cup

Hi
Rycon
Comp Team
General

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »

i hear the gfx are sweet
Sphinx
General

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »

Quakes Wars it the best looking game I've seen lately.  Hell, even Painkiller still looks great.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: